I am so excited to write this post. Why? Because this is quite possibly my favorite recipe..ever..
- It is so creamy and delectable
- It is super healthy
- It’s lactose free!!!!
Okay, maybe #3 will only excite a few people, but it makes me ecstatic. Joe probably appreciates not having to hear me complain about a stomach ache, too. Did you know parmesan is lactose-free? It’s fantastic.
As always, this recipe is super simple and super fast. I made only 2 servings, you can easily scale this up to serve more. I also like this dish super saucy (because if it were acceptable to drink it I would..) So you could always just add more pasta to serve more.
Butternut Squash Mac N Cheese
- 1.5 cups whole wheat rotini, dry
- 2 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or your favorite type)
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- panko bread crumbs (optional)Extra parmesan (optional)
- Begin boiling a pot of water for you pasta, preparing as package directs
- In a microwave safe dish, add butternut squash and enough water to cover. Microwave for 5-8 minute or until soft
- In a blender blend squash, milk, parmesan, and spices. Blend until nice and smooth.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, return to pot and add your sauce. Cook on low heat until warmed.
- Plate pasta, sprinkling with panko breadcrumbs and/or parmesan if desired.
Nutrition Information per serving: 293 calories, 4.75g fat, 12.9g protein, 59g carbohydrates
I whipped up some meatballs to top it off. A little ground meat, oats, Worcestershire garlic powder, egg, and whatever other spices I am feeling at the time. Bake or cook stove top.
Now off to the dog park with this little nugget pie.