Sundays are always meal planning days in my household. We figure out what we want to have each night and create a grocery list with those recipes in mind. This alleviates SO much stress during the week. No “What will we have for dinner tonight?!” worries. It also helps free up time during the week. Since I know what we will be having I can do prep ahead and have more time on weekday evening for things like running errands, going to the gym, or long puppy walks. Win-win.
This slow-cooker barbacoa is simple to make and can be served throughout the week in different ways. Add it to your menu this week for hassle-free dinners and a happy belly.
We had over right for barbacoa bowls the first night, which were phenom. Then I had to travel later in the week for work, so that left Joe on his own for dinner. He was able to use the barbacoa for a burrito, on a toasted bun, and in taco shells. It was also a perfect meat source for a quick lunch salad.
It makes about 10, 1/2 cup servings, so it’s a larger recipe. Don’t want it all in one week? Freeze a few portions for a later time.
Simple. Healthy. Versatile. Amazing.
Slow Cooker Pork Barbacoa
Yield: 10, 1/2 cup servings
- 2.5lb pork loin roast, fat trimmed
- 14 oz coke zero (divided 6oz & 8 oz)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (divided 1/4c & 1/4 c)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp each- Cumin, chili powder, garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Combine 6oz coke zero, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup water (I did this right in the slow cooker). Stir until combined, then add your pork loin. Allow to marinade here for 2+ hours, overnight if desired.
- Once marinated, cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for about 8.
- When pork is able to be shredded with a fork, remove marinade liquid and shred pork.
- Once shredded, add remaining ingredients (8oz coke zero, 1/4 cup brown sugar, tomato paste, salsa, spices, and s&p to taste)
- Cook on high for 1-1.5 hours
- Serve over rice, in a burrito, on a bun, etc.
Nutrition Information per 1/2 cup: 208 calories, 1.62g fat, 12.4g carbohydrate, 28g protein
Other idea on how to serve it? Share away!