Okay guys.. the moment is here. Today, I am sharing with you the recipe that I love most. The one that I constantly get asked about. The one that I make multiple times per week. The one that is SO. FREAKING. DELICIOUS. Are you ready for it?? 5 Minute Butternut Squash “Cheese” Sauce!!!!
I know it totally sounds extreme to hype-up a sauce THAT much, but it’s totally not. This is quite possible the most versatile recipe out there. You can use it for:
Mac N cheese (or any pasta!)
- Cheesy rice
- On top of veggies
- Pizza sauce
- etc. etc.
This stuff is amazing. And, let’s talk about the fact that it only takes FIVE MINUTES to make. Can I get a “HECK YES!!” ?!?
Now that we’ve established that it’s friggin’ delicious, let’s chat about the nutrition side of this because there are definitely some things that I love about this in that category too. I am a dietitian after all. Butternut squash is a great source of:
- Vitamin A (can help with healthy skin and hair growth- ummm, yes please)
- Fiber (helps to keep you full and stabilize blood sugar
- Potassium (adequate intake associated with reduced risk of death from stoke and cardiovascular disease)
The butternut squash gives you a rich, creamy flavor, and the ‘cheesy’ taste comes from nutritional yeast. That’s right- this recipe is DAIRY FREE and VEGAN. So, all you lactose-intolerance people out there- rejoice! Nutritional yeast is a pantry staple for me for a few reasons:
- Again, it’s friggin’ delicious
- Provides loads of B-Vitamins (helps with healthy cell metabolism, memory, mood, digestive systems, and hair, skin and nails)
- Has 3g of protein per tbsp
- Less sodium that parmesan cheese- by 750%… seriously.
So, basically, if you eat this sauce you’ll have the best looking hair, skin and nails. HAHA! I’m totally kidding. But it kinda sounds that way, huh?
I think that by far my favorite way to eat this (besides with a spoon) is as butternut squash mac n cheese. I’ve actually served this to dinner guests multiple times (without telling them it was dairy free and vegan) and they had not the slightest clue- but LOVED it! Now THAT is what I consider a win.
You can totally make this recipe in a larger batch (since this one makes about 2 servings) and keep it in the fridge to have on-hand for the week. If you do this you may need to add an additional splash of milk when you go to re-heat it to get it nice and saucy.
Give this recipe a go and let me know how you eat it by leaving a comment!!! Can’t wait to hear which way YOU like best!!
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Place diced squash in a microwaved safe bowl and fill with water. Microwave for 4 minutes.
- Drain squash and add it to a food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
You may add more milk to reach your desired thickness
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!